Report: Reds, Joey Votto agree to 10-year, $ 225 million deal
Apr 2, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
Update: It’s a 10-year, $ 225 million extension, according to USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale.
Joey Votto is under contract for $ 9.5 million this season and $ 17 million next season as part of an extension signed last winter, but Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors reports that the Reds are close to signing the former MVP to a significantly longer extension.
According to Dierkes the new extension “could surpass $ 200 million” in total value, although the length and salary details aren’t known yet.
This offseason Prince Fielder, who’s 27 years old, signed a nine-year, $ 214 million contract with the Tigers and Albert Pujols, who’s 32 years old, inked a 10-year, $ 240 million deal with the Angels. Votto is 28 years old and has been every bit as productive as Fielder and Pujols during the past three seasons, hitting .318 with a .983 OPS during that time while leading the league in OPS in 2010 and on-base percentage in both 2010 and 2011.
This could mean the end of Brandon Phillips’ time in Cincinnati, as it’s hard to see the Reds having the money to keep the impending free agent second baseman around beyond this season if they’re throwing $ 200 million at Votto.
- Reds close to $ 200 million extension with Joey Votto 35
- Springtime Storylines: Does anyone remember that the Boston Red Sox were really good last year? 26
- Matt Cain and the Giants agree to $ 112.5 million extension 22
- Springtime Storylines: Are the Yankees the best team in baseball? 38
- Springtime Storylines: Can anyone in the AL Central beat the Detroit Tigers? 17
- Michael Pineda complains of sore shoulder after rough night (73)
- Benches empty after Ubaldo Jimenez plunks Troy Tulowitzki (68)
- Curt Schilling says Red Sox players hate Bobby Valentine (65)
- Video of the Day: The Marlins Ballpark home run feature is alive (58)
- The regular season is underway (51)
NBC Sports Headlines
- CBT: Kansas can beat Kentucky – just ask these 4 favorites
- CBT: Breaking down Kentucky vs. Kansas
- PFT: Ryan Leaf arrested for 2nd time in 4 days
- PFT: Tebow might have role on special teams
- HBT: Reds, Votto closing in on $ 200M extension
- HBT: ‘It’s the most gutless act I have seen’
- HBT: Werth: ’2011 will be like fart in the wind’
NBC Sports Videos
- Play Video: Setback for Red Sox’s Carl Crawford
- Play Video: HBT Extra: Can Angels catch Rangers in AL West?
- Play Video: Pressure’s on Yankees’ Cano
- Play Video: Magic puts Dodgers back on the map
- Play Video: HBT Extra: NL West preview
- Play Video: Dodgers praise Magic Johnson ownership
NBC Sports Photos
- Slideshow: Milestones to watch
- Slideshow: New faces, new places
- Slideshow: A day at spring training
- Slideshow: All-Time Yankees greats
- Breaking down draft’s 1st round
- Slideshow: Longest hitting streaks by active players
- C. Utley (6145)
- C. Carpenter (6130)
- R. Howard (6010)
- D. Ackley (5685)
- A. Chapman (5541)
- D. Storen (5318)
- J. Broxton (5317)
- M. Pineda (5168)
- B. Belt (5151)
- C. Crawford (5079)
MySportNews іѕ a sports news digest publication that compiles real time, on demand sports news, articles, аnd resources. This article was distributed by Syndicated Sports news wire and aggregation service, For more MLB news see: Report: Reds, Joey Votto agree to 10-year, 5 million deal.